Thursday 30 January 2020

Session 1 - Phaendar Attacked!


Extract from the Collected Letters of Mallius Vane

The Ironfang Legion have attacked Phaendar, brother! The very same bastards that wiped out my militia...here! How I don't know!

It was Market Day and I was in the Taproot Inn, along with many others from far and wide...as Aubrin the Green regaled us with tales of her adventures. Suddenly, a ballista bolt burst through the door of the inn striking Aubrin and sending her sprawling in a spray of blood. Two hobgoblins stood at the threshold laughing cruelly. I recognised their garb straight away...Ironfang Legion! Behind them a strange dark tower stood in the centre of the market green where no tower had stood earlier.

The memories of the day the Ironfang Legion butchered my friends still haunts my dreams, I could not stand idly by. While most of the customers cowered or fled, I readied my bow. Fortunately, I was not alone. A tattooed barbarian wielding a mighty axe leapt towards the hobgoblins but was beaten to it by a deceptively fast woman with a deadly rapier. I later learnt that the barbarian is called Ban and the woman with the rapier, Kana. Meanwhile, Folgrun, a dwarven cleric of Torag and well-respected local resident, rushed to Aubrin's side to tend her wounds. Between the four of us we quickly put an end to their mirth.

By the time we had killed them, the town seemed to have been overrun. We barricaded the door and headed for the back of the inn. We found one more hobgoblin looting in a back room. He was quickly dispatched by axe and rapier. From the back door I could see the bridge and the safety of the Fangwood beyond.

Meanwhile, Folgrun and Ban found some locals along with the landlady, Jet, hiding in the cellars. We quickly gathered what provisions we could together, thinking that we could send Aubrin, now able to walk thanks to the ministrations of Folgrun, with Jet and the locals, over the bridge to the safety of Fangwood while we checked the town for survivors, in particular, Folgrun's friend...Kining, the owner of the Phaendar Trading Company. Unfortunately, the bridge was guarded...

For a slightly easier read, a PDF copy of this session write-up on Google Drive here.

No comments:

Post a Comment